Kansas ESA - News & Views Newsletter
The Kansas State Council of ESA has published the News & Views Newsletter since 1949. It is an award winning newsletter, being recognized for its outstanding format and news for the members of Epsilon Sigma Alpha International. The links below will take you to the newsletter for the current year. If you would like to reference newsletters from previous years go to the Lamplighters site page. All issues of the News & Views are available during the year that the Kansas president served her term of office.
PUBLICITY - TELL THE WORLD ABOUT ESA!
Good publicity helps chapters share information about ESA, ultimately getting more people involved in our organization. Here are five suggestions for your consideration when planning events or activities in your community.
- what are the key messages? As organizers we tend to overwhelm people with information. Issues are complex and there is so much we as ESAers care about. Thus, we need to focus on just a few simple and clear things that will stick in people's minds.
- Who is your target audience? We need to think ahead about to whom we are talking and our goal in order to accomplish our aim- new members. Targeting individuals with information or messages relevant to them will be most effective. Publicity is about getting people on board or interested in becoming a part of the group. Win potential members over. Be creative, welcoming and fun. You will want to acknowledge people's strengths/ abilities and offer them pathways to contribute as well as demonstrating manners in which they will gain individually from belonging.
- What do you want people to do? All your communications should contain a clear call to action, giving individuals concrete things they can do; whether that is joining your chapter or supporting your project.
- What is the best method of contacting the individual? Don't expect people to come to you for information - go to them. Use venues, language and styles that suit your particular group and which the audience will be comfortable using.
What ESA Means to Me
Rita has served the State Council in several capacities and has never failed to step up when she was needed. She is truly a "gift" to ESA and Kansas.
I don't know if it is possible to describe exactly what ESA means to me since so much of it is in my heart. I do not believe that any of us are involved in ESA by chance. It has given me an insight to those less fortunate and how to use my skills to make a difference. It made me realize it isn't about what I know - it is about finding an avenue to use what I know and have a cause greater than me. I realized early on that ESA ladies have an amazing work ethic and desire to make a difference. For the past 39 years ESA has been a huge part of my life. My Beta Beta sisters have been by my side through the happy times and the not so happy times. They were at my house when my sister, mother, and aunt passed away in a four month time period and by my side through my husband's illnesses. I was invited to join ESA in Emporia, Ks. One member tried to blackball me. Can you believe it? ME... My friend who invited me didn't let that happen so now I call it my "in by a thread" history. I was at State Convention in Kansas City and met a Beta Beta member at the outstanding sister table. She introduced me to several Beta Beta girls ... what a crew! When they found out I was moving to the Wichita area they "begged" me to join their chapter. Anyway that's how I remember it ... It has been an honor to serve with my Kansas ESA sisters. To my Beta Beta sisters, thanks for "begging" me to join your chapter. I have a special love for you.
Epsilon Sigma Alpha News
SHARE YOUR STORY AND PUBLICIZE, PUBLICIZE, PUBLICIZE!!!!!!
Responsive & Interactive
How many of you do not like to talk? This is what we must do to get the word out about ESA and all the wonderful projects and events we host and take part in. Word of mouth is the number one way to share your story.
There are other ways to share your story. Newspaper articles (there is a press release on the back table for you to fill in your information and submit it), and radio advertisements work well for some. If you have these capabilities in your town, USE THEM! Take advantage of them!
Make the commitment to wear ESA clothing on Monday’s. Accept the challenge to wearing ESA clothing on a day during the week no matter where you were going. We would like to continue that challenge.
How it's done!
News releases should include the 5 W's and the one H: WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY, AND HOW. Tell how they can become involved in the event or in ESA and give a contact for more information.
Samples for setting up an excellent press release
- You must provide a draft the proclamation (see sample) that you are requesting in the preferred format. (The sample may suffice or the town/state may have a preferred format that will be available for your review)
- SAMPLE PROCLAMATION
- State the purpose: The purpose of this proclamation is to celebrate the good works of Epsilon Sigma Alpha as exhibited by our 40 year relationship with St. Jude and our local good works.
- State the date the proclamation is needed.
- Provide a brief history of the organization.
- Requests should include contact person information: name, daytime phone number/e-mail address.
- Contact the office of the person who will be issuing the proclamation.
- Talk to his/her assistant to find out the local procedures for giving proclamations and required time lines.
- In the case of state proclamations, find out if you need a sponsor to introduce the proclamation within the state. (This could be your representative, etc. Just learn who can most help get the proclamation issued if the governor is not able to issue the proclamation without legislative approval)
- Tell the sponsor a bit about Epsilon Sigma Alpha, along with some of the things you’ve done for the community and St. Jude.
- Ask for advice/assistance in asking for the proclamation—“what’s the best way, date –if second week in May does not work—etc.
- Follow up by sending the pertinent materials that were suggested, along with information about Epsilon Sigma Alpha.
- All pertinent information regarding the proclamation as requested or required.
- Again, provide current contact information along with information about Epsilon Sigma Alpha.
- Send thank you notes to both the person who helped answer your questions and to the person who will be issuing the proclamation. Thank them for their time and consideration.
PUBLICIZE YOUR ESA EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES!